Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Dino teeth at Heritage this weekend, Jan. 17. Wish I was still a kid.

Jan. 14, 2009
Posted By Noah

A kid between the ages of 7 and 13, to be exact, as that’s the demographic that stands to benefit the most from the preview this Saturday, Jan. 17, of the Natural History Auction, when the company gives away a free dinosaur tooth to the first 100 eligible kids – not employees, mind you, specifically those well over the right age, even if they really really want one… Please, please, please?

These teeth are from the ferocious and massive Spinosauraus, the largest meat eater to over roam the planet that existed a mere blink in the continuum of time and space ago, 67 million years. It’s rare to find the teeth of such a thing, and awesomely cool, if I can sound like I really am 10 years old. To further digress, the whole auction is full of amazing stuff, and not just dino teeth, and I’m not saying it just because I work at Heritage. Anyone can come and see the preview this weekend, and I suggest you do. Then you’ll see what I mean.

The star of the show is a massive, almost fully intact Triceratops skull. This thing is as wide as a Formula One race car across the front, and as long as an NBA player is tall. It’s a thing of superb intimidation and great beauty, and my first thought when I saw it is that I wished I was a genetic scientist who was capable of cloning a whole new triceratops from the DNA of the skull, whereby I could walk it on weekends, tie it to a tree in nearby Reverchon Park while I’m at work and make sure nobody ever messes with me – not that any really ever does anyway. I’m just saying…

There’s also a huge mammoth tusk, an amazing Saber Tooth Tiger Skull, a fully intact flying dinosaur skeleton and pieces of the moon and the planet Mars, as Natural History Director David Herskowitz always likes to stress. Did I mention, as I buff my nails on my shirt, that Heritage is the world leader in high-end natural history auctions.

The details of the auction can be picked up by clicking here. The details of the preview are also online, as is the address and full hours. Visitor parking is available in the garage attached to the building, enter on Maple Avenue.