Thursday, September 3, 2009

Isn't it funny how a bear loves honey? Buzz, buzz, buzz, I wonder why he does: Signed first edition Pooh books ready for October auction.

September 3, 2009
Posted by Noah

Who doesn't love Winnie The Pooh? Really?

If you've just raised your hand then I am sad for you, and for the cold little piece of charcoal you call a heart... Just sayin'...

There are certain pop culture tests you can use on people to find out what their personality really is, or what they would like to believe their personality is: Which Beatle would you be (I always thought of myself as George)? Which cast-member of Scooby-Doo (I think I'd probably be the van)? Which member of the Superfriends (Gleek, The Wonder Monkey)? And, of course, which character from Winnie the Pooh...

Have you answered yet? We'd all love to be Pooh. Of course we all would. I'd have to say that I'm probably more Eeyore than anything, though I find that Tigger makes me really nervous, so I'm probably more Rabbit than I want to admit... Still, Eeyore sticks with me... I find myself thinking many times a day: Somebody took my tail. How like them...

There probably aren't more than a handful of true Winnie-The-Poohs on the planet at any given time, and if they are truly Pooh, then they probably aren't aware of it themselves...

Why am I filling your time with such mundanity on this gorgeous Thursday? Well... Since you ask... I was going through the upcoming Oct. 16-17 Rare Books auction - and let me tell you, it's a mighty good one, stellar, in fact - and its superb selection of Children's literature, when this lot jumped out at me: a set of all four first edition Winnie The Pooh books signed by A. A. Milne himself.

I cannot tell you how much I would love the get these for myself, er... I mean my daughter. Barring my stumbling upon upwards of $25,000, however, I don't reckon it will happen anytime soon... Still, I can and will dream, and I can and will steal down to the secret undisclosed location of these treasures and covet them in silence for a few minutes... Yes, I firmly believe I have the best gig in this whole place...

One look at the lot descriptions and pictures of the books themselves and you can see this is a tremendous grouping, and a rare one at that...

So, be honest now... Which character would you be?

To leave a comment, and to tell me which Milne creation you would be, click on the title of this post.

-Noah Fleisher

No comments:

Post a Comment