Thursday, January 21, 2010

Feelin' Leyendecker: Ready for Illustration Art in February at Heritage?

Jan. 21, 2010
Posted by Noah

I knew when I woke up on Monday morning that something felt different for me, and I don't mean the change in the Dallas weather for the warmer - though that's been pretty nice. 70 degrees this week, anyone? Anyone?

I soon pinpointed what it was: We're a month away from February Illustration Art, that's Feb. 18, to be exact, and the third section of Martignette. Hoo boy!

Now, I'm not going to make the mistake this time and tell anyone what my most absolute favorite painting is, because I have expensive taste and want to have just a teeny tiny wheeny whiney little chance of getting something I want out of this auction - though the truth is that I probably won't because, like I said, I've got some good and expensive tastes.

That said, and putting aside my love of the Pin-Ups and Pulps here, I have to tip my hat to J.C.Leyendecker's absolutely sublimely astounding Bringing in the Turkey (Thanksgiving cover), Saturday Evening Post cover, December 2, 1933.

You can see by the picture above, and by clicking on it and going to the lot, that this thing is an absolutely masterpiece of form and color. And it's not going to come cheap, either, estimated as it is at $100,000-$150,000. Needless to say, I am not going to be placing a bid. In fact, I can hear the money gods laughing their derision at the very thought of it....

There is something wildly evocative and instantly familiar about Leyendecker's scene, even though I'd venture a guess that most of us have never had a butler serve us Thanksgiving - at least I haven't - and most of us probably don't have three hound dogs chasing that non-existent butler into the dining room. I have actually served Thanksgiving dinner to people before, and I've even cut a turkey. Can you believe it?

But I digress.

As usual, this auction offers up just a tremendous amount of superb stuff. And there is actually one painting I will at least make a try for, but I refuse to tell you... After all, it was probably you who bought the one I wanted last time, and there's no way I'm going to go through that again...

See you Feb. 18, hopefully along with a few more world record prices.

To leave a comment, click on the title of this post.

-Noah Fleisher

No comments:

Post a Comment